Simon Watson LLB. LLM. has practiced law for over 10 years and is admitted in both South Africa (2010) and Australia (2017).
“My focus is always on providing timely and commercially sensible advice in order to help clients make decisions and achieve their objectives” – Simon Watson
- Worked on several matters involving claims made through the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) against financial advisers. The complaints related to advice regarding the use of superannuation savings, the setting up of self-managed super funds and investments into real estate (2019).
- Assisted on a matter defending an insured engineer in a claim for breach of contract and negligence regarding the design and certification of a residential home. This matter was litigated out of the District Court of Queensland. My involvement included a detailed analysis of expert reports regarding the structural integrity of the building in question and related soil conditions, monitoring separate but related proceedings in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT), liaising with insured’s expert and preparing draft reports and advice (2020)
- Represented a road works company in a claim for property damage to a residential property, litigated through the Magistrates’ Court of Queensland. Negotiated a settlement to the satisfaction of insurer and insured (2020)
- Assisted with work on a breach of contract and damage to property claim litigated out of the District Court of Queensland. The claim involved two incidents causing water leakage and damage to a commercial building in Brisbane. My involvement in this claim was primarily in reviewing disclosed documentation and managing insured’s disclosure obligations in terms of the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules (2020)
- Handled a difficult contractual dispute around the supply of allegedly defective product litigated through the Federal Circuit Court. The dispute was referred to mediation. Prepared for the mediation on short notice and settled the dispute without involvement of counsel. (2020).